Tuesday, January 25, 2011

shop and tell

_MG_9599

_MG_9616

_MG_9514

_MG_9463

_MG_9460


Some may consider it bad form or tacky to disclose how much one spends while shopping; but in the world of thrifting,  some secrets should be told.  This outfit is actually one of my favorites  because all items were found at your local thrift store; and for the first time ever, I'm going to tell you how much I spent.

1. Plaid Dress:  $1.99 at Volunteers of America.  The silhouettes from the 1950s are one of my favorite style because they accentuate  and portray an hourglass figure.  This dress may be considered "vintage" only because the tag does not even come with care instructions.  (I really don't have an eye to decipher vintage so who really knows.)

2. Belt:  $3.99 at Volunteers of America.  I'm a bit of a sucker for belts so I have far more than probably necessary.  However, the presence of a great belt must not be discounted.  Accessorizing does not have to be defined by lots of necklaces and bracelets.  A belt can just as easily become "the statement piece" of an outfit.

3. Purse:  $1.99 at Goodwill.  This purse is one of my favorites because of how structured it is, which is a nice change in pace from the oversized bag or tiny clutch.

4. Shoes:  $4.99 at Ohio Thrift Store.  When I saw these shoes, my eyes lit up like they were mirroring gold bars.  They have that Anthropologie vibe.  My favorite thing about the shoes is how much I change the laces to get the look I want.  The original laces were stiff and would not stay tied so I changed them to a green ribbon to complement the dress.

So there you have it--the $13 outfit.

3 comments:

  1. Wow that is AWESOME! Wish I could find deals like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE these photos! I found your blog through the Refinery 29 and I think it's lovely! I will definitely be following you (:

    ReplyDelete